Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentine's Day 8: Zipper Flowers

Today, one of my lovely co-teachers brought me a 
grocery bag FULL of zippers!
Yes, zippers, and I have been pondering what to do with them.
She sent me the idea of making them into flowers,
 so here is my go at it!

I figured they fit into the Valentine's theme because they can be added to ANYTHING!
You could make a bouquet of them, pin them on a sweater,
 a picture frame, a necklace, whatever you want!
So....here it goes!

You need:
Zipper (18in'' - 24'')
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun
Felt Scraps
Ruler

FIrst, cut the bottom stop of the zipper and pull the zipper off.
Now you should have two separate pieces of zipper.

Measure how long your zipper is, and divide it by 6. 
It will be between 3-4, so cut one piece of the zipper into six 
smaller pieces at this size to make the large petals. 
(My 24 inch zipper made six, 4 inch pieces) 
Now, take the other piece of zipper tape and cut it into 6 pieces 
one inch smaller than the other pieces.
(6, 3 inch pieces)
You will also have an extra 6 inch piece left over, 
this will become the center of the flower. 


Now, glue the zipper pieces into petals. 
Put a dab of hot glue on one end of the petal. 
Twist the other end around ant squish together. 
(Note: Don't put too much glue on here, 
it will make the flower chunky later!)
Repeat this for all 12 petals. 
Next, cut a 2 inch circle out of felt. 
Glue two of the larger petals down so the raw edges touch,
 to your piece of felt. 
Squish the glue flat. 

Add two more, then the final two large petals. 
Then, add the smaller petals, staggering them between the larger petals.

Now you need to make your flower center. 
Use the 6 inch piece and fold under the toothless edge. 
Glue it down so there is no fraying when finished. 

Then, roll your flower center, tightly at first, loosening as you go. 
Hot glue the end down so it will stay. 

Now, add your center to the flower. 
Use just a LITTLE hot glue, otherwise it gets too bulky.
Push it down hard, this gives the flower some better shape. 
Trim the felt on the back and there you go!


You can add a pin, glue it to a head band, picture frame, 
or whatever you want! 
Enjoy! 






41 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh those are cute! I'm going to add this post to my Share & Share linky and pin it! I came here to follow you from the Winky Linky hop!
Michelle
http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.com/search/label/Share%20and%20Share%20hop

Amanda said...

Thanks Michelle! I am SO glad you like them! They are super easy, I hope I explained it enough! :) Happy Crafting!!

Angela @ The Not So Functional Housewife said...

Oh my goodness! These are too cute! What a great idea!

Thanks for stopping by to link up!

~Angela

Serendipity and Spice said...

These are so cute! Would love it if you came by and linked up to my Manic Monday Linky Party!
-Melissa
http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

mary said...

Oh my gush that is awesome I so like it!

WILW

Mama Jodi said...

Great tutorial. These are adorable!

Alyson @Eisley Rae said...

Such a cute idea!

kylie said...

So cute... I always wondered how people did these. Does it only work with metal coloured zippers or would it also work with dress zippers? I have a bunch of them...

Wendy Sice said...

They are stunning! Love them! xx

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

These are awesome - who would have thought a zipper could look so good! I would love it if you would come link up with Busy Monday (through Thursdays) at A Pinch of Joy, a linky party for ideas that make life better, easier and more fun!

Angela @ The Not So Functional Housewife said...

I've featured your Zipper Flowers for Functional Friday!

Thanks so much for stopping by to link up!

~Angela

Cheryl Roth said...

This is really cool, I would have never thought zippers could be so pretty. Visiting from Made in a day!
http://hearttoheartathome.blogspot.com/

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I think these are super cool! I love the colors you picked as well! So springy!!

I featured your flowers on this week's Terrific Under Ten Tuesday! http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/2012/02/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-51.html

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Those are super cute! Great idea. :) New follower here. ~ Megan

Linda :) said...

AMAZING! I am so copying!!!! :)

Blessings,
Linda
www.creatviecommotion.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

My 88 yr. old mother in law has several old metal zippers in her sewing basket. I made one today in black and it turned out really pretty. I don't have a glue gun so I sewed it by hand, which actually didn't take that long.

4you-withlove said...

sosososo cute! LOVE these!

Amanda said...

Thank you!! They are one of my favorite things to make right now! :)

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

I love this! I can't believe they are zippers! Thanks for linking up to my party :)

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

These are really amazing - I mean REALLY amazing! So creative! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Katie Adams said...

These are so cute and fun! The possibilities are endless as to what you could do with these cute little flowers! I would love for to share with my readers on Blog Stalking Thursday!

http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-stalking-thursday-32.html

Repeat Crafter Me said...

These are really neat! I am definitely pinning! Thanks for the tutorial. I can't wait to make them myself! - Sarah @ Repeat Crafter Me

candy's clothes closet said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, these:) So Adorable! Thanks for the Awesome Tutorial. I am Pinning these Immediately<3 Stay Fashionable! Love,Candy
www.candysclothescloset.blogspot.com

candy's clothes closet said...

Pinned it twice and now I'm your newest follower:)

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Wow! These are really cute! Thanks for sharing on Handmade Tuesdays. You made these look so easy!

mbdang said...

These are so cute! I love how they look! :)

Artsy VaVa said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I will definitely make some zipper flowers! Pinning it!

Crafty Cousins said...

I love it, and the colors are fabulous! I'd love for you to link it up to Crafty Cousins!

http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-i-wore-sunday-week-11.html

~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins

Holla! We're your newest followers! :)

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

I want a bag of free zippers too. Love your zipper flowers.

Waseem said...

I love your zipper flowers...it,s amazing.

Send Flowers Pakistan
Send Flowers Pakistan
Send Flowers Pakistan

jackson geter said...

Your valentine day gift to your beloved need not be expensive but it should be straight from the heart.valentine Flowers

kanmani said...

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?











Valentine Flowers to Chennai

Elizabeth Green said...

Thank you very much for posting this. My class had a lesson at school about sewing random crafts, and we HAD to make flowers. I was sick then and missed that lesson. Thanks again, you saved me a good grade ;)

online florist said...

All the best guys! Waiting to know more updates from you
online singapore florist

online florist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ramona said...

this is a great idea, i had not seen them until a few days ago, i'll give it a try. i love to make things with recycled items and always looking to learn new things. thanks alot

Nurse kay said...

Absolutely lovely. You are so creative. Thanks for being so generous with your ideas.

Nurse kay said...

Absolutely lovely. You are so creative. Thanks for being so generous with your ideas.

Nurse kay said...

Absolutely lovely. You are so creative. Thanks for being so generous with your ideas.

Nurse kay said...

Absolutely lovely. You are so creative. Thanks for being so generous with your ideas.

Nurse kay said...

Absolutely lovely. You are so creative. Thanks for being so generous with your ideas.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!